1 packet or 1 sheet gelatin
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream cold
3 bananas medium-sized (if desired, keep a few for garnish)
1 recipe pie crust
¾ cups whipping cream
½ teaspoon vanilla
8 Nilla wafers (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. If using powdered gelatin, mix with ¼ cup milk in a small bowl. If using gel sheets, place sheet in a bowl of ice water and let bloom for 8 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
4. In a medium saucepan, scald the milk.
5. Temper the eggs by slowly adding small amounts of the hot milk into the eggs, while continuously whisking. Once you have half of milk added you can add the remaining milk mixture in a steady stream.
6. Add the gelatin to the mixture. If using a sheet, wring it out and add just the sheet. Whisk until dissolved.
7. Add back to medium heat and bring to a boil until thickened. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
8. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until cool, about one hour.
9. Roll out pie crust and place in a 9” pie plate. Use a fork to prick holes in the base. Place parchment in the base and fill the bottom with beans. These act as a weight to keep the bottom of the crust from bubbling up, so make sure to cover the base of the pie crust.
10. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove parchment and beans. Place back into oven and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove and let crust cool.
11. Slice the bananas and place in the bottom of the pie shell.
12. Using a mixer, beat the ½ cup of cream and fold into the filling until no streaks remain. Spread filling into crust on top of the bananas. Let set in refrigerator until firm.
13. Beat the remaining ¾ cup whipping cream and vanilla. Pipe along the edge of the pie in a circular pattern, using a star tip for a star on each piece. Place a nilla wafer or banana standing in the middle of the star. Place three banana slices in the middle of the pie.