· 3 T. oil
· 1 onion, diced
· 8 oz. brown mushrooms, quartered
· 5 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 T. ginger, minced
· 3 large roma tomatoes, large dice
· ¾ C. pineapple, medium diced
· 5 C. vegetable stock, (or chicken)
· 1.5 tsp. soy sauce
· 1/4C. tamarind puree (depending on your sour preference)
· Sugar, as needed for balance
· 12 oz. tofu, cubed
· ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
· 4 green onions, green part only, sliced thin
· Fried shallot
· Bean sprouts
· Thai basil leaves
· Red Fresno chiles, sliced very thin
1. In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the 3 T. oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and pineapple and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the vegetable (or chicken) stock, soy sauce, and tamarind puree. Bring to a rolling simmer. Taste to sourness (to your desired level) and then balance with a bit of sugar as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the tofu, cilantro and green onions. Turn the pot down to low and allow for the soup to assimilate the delicate herb flavors for 5-7 minutes.
4. Garnish the soup as desired.