For the cookie dough:
· 1 cup butter, room temperature
· 2 cups sugar
· 3 eggs
· 6 cups flour
· 2 tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 cup sour cream
For the frosting:
· ½ cup butter, softened
· 4 cups powdered sugar
· 3 tbsp milk
1. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture in batches, alternating with sour cream. This will be a sticky dough. Divide dough into two equal potions, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle, approximately 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. On a floured surface, roll dough out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on baking racks.
4. For the frosting: Beat together the butter, powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. Frost with spatula or piping bag.
Makes about 9 dozen cookies. Freeze the dough you don't use for up to three months!