· 4 x 4 oz. eye round medallions
· 3 eggs
· ½ C. buttermilk
· 1 T. hot sauce
· Salt and pepper
· 2 C. flour
· Oil for frying
1. Using a meat tenderizer, tenderize the meat until worked out to 1/2 “ thick.
2. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, hot sauce and salt and pepper. Add the tenderized steaks and let marinate for 2 -24 hours.
3. Preheat grease to 350 degrees. One at a time, remove the steaks from the marinade and shake off the excess liquid. Coat well in flour on both sides. Repeat 3 more times. Discard the remaining liquid and flour.
4. Fry the steaks until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
For the Sawmill Gravy:
· 4 pieces bacon, crispy and crumbled
· 2 oz. bacon fat
· ½ onion, diced
· 3 garlic, smashed
· 1/3 C. flour
· 2 C. milk
- Render the fat from 4 pieces of bacon. Cook bacon until crispy and reserve. Remove all but 2 T. bacon fat from the pan and save for another recipe. Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon fat for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour – making sure to stir in well so it doesn’t clump. Cook the starches from the flour. Add the milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until thick and the starchiness is cooked out. Add the crumbled bacon back to the gravy before serving. Season with salt and lots of pepper.