· 2 ½ cups warm water (110°F)
· 2 packages yeast (equivalent to 4 ½ teaspoons)
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 1 box yellow cake mix
· 4 ½ cups flour
· ½ teaspoon salt
1. Place the warm water and sugar in a measuring cup or bowl. Add yeast and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and let bloom for 10-15 minutes or until frothy.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, flour and salt. Stir to combine.
3. Add water/yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon or spatula. Once it starts to come together, go in with your hands and make a dough ball. It will be a soft, wet dough.
4. Sprinkle flour on surface and lightly knead for 3- minutes, or until dough if fully combined and a consistent texture.
5. Place into a greased, large bowl. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap (not touching dough ball) and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 min-1 hour. While dough is rising, make cinnamon filling. Dough should double in size.
6. Once the dough has risen, lightly flour your surface. Knock down your dough and shape it into a rectangle. Roll dough until it is about ¼” thick.
7. Preheat oven to 375F.
8. If adding filling, place on the rolled out dough and roll it lengthwise, away from you. Make sure the seam side is down on the counter.
9. Cut into desired size using string or unflavored dental floss. Place into a greased 11x13 pan or into individual muffin tins.
10. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until well browned. Let cool and frost!
To make cinnamon filling:
· 2 cups brown sugar
· ½ cup cinnamon
· 10 tablespoons butter, melted
· ½ teaspoon salt
1. Mix together ingredients in a bowl.
To make cream cheese frosting:
· 4 ounces cream cheese
· ¼ cup butter
· 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· Pinch Salt
1. With a mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth and no cream cheese lumps appear.
2. Add powdered sugar and mix in. Add vanilla and salt.
3. Beat until light and fluffy!