· For the Tofu:
· 1 1# block extra firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cubed
· 1.5 tsp. thick soy sauce
· 1 tsp. sesame oil
· 8 oz. rice noodles – (soaked in hot water for 12-15 minutes)
· 6 cloves black garlic, whole
· ¼ C. thick soy sauce
· 2 tsp. dark soy sauce
· 2 T. fish sauce
· 3 T. oyster sauce
· ¼ C. oil, divided 2 T. & 2 T.
· 2-4 serrano chiles, diced or 3 thai bird chiles, (for extra hot) diced
· 2 shallots, sliced thin
· 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
· 2 green onions, cut into 2-3 inch segments
· 2 tsp. ginger, minced
· 20 leaves thai basil
· 8-10 baby corn, cut into 1 inch segments
· 1 T. sherry
· More dried red pepper flakes, if desired for more heat
1. For the tofu – remove from package, drain, pat dry, and cube. Toss in a bowl with the soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside for 20 minutes while you do the rest of the prep.
2. For the noodles – place in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water until soft, about 5-10 minutes. When they are soft, drain and set aside.
3. For the sauce – in a small container mash the cloves of black garlic and then mix in the thick and dark soy sauces, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. Set aside.
4. For the vegetables – on a plate, get all of the vegetables compartmentalized – this will be of benefit when you start stir-frying.
5. To make the dish – heat a wok over medium high heat. Add the first 2 T. of the oil and heat to smoking. Add the tofu and sear on all sides until it is brown and crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
6. When the tofu is removed from the pan, add the second 2 T. of the oil and heat. Add the chiles and shallots, season with salt and pepper and fry briefly for about 30 seconds. Next add the carrots and green onions and fry until the carrots begin to soften. Then add the ginger and fry until aromatic. Add the thai basil and baby corn and toss in well. Then add the sherry and the noodles. Toss the noodles in gently so they are fully incorporated into the vegetables and do not stick to the sides of the wok.
7. Add the sauce and mix in well. Be sure to scrape around the wok to ensure that the noodles do not stick. Heat until the noodles are not, also taking care not to break up the noodles into small pieces. Taste the sauce and decide if you want to add more heat.
8. Finally, add the tofu and mix back in until hot. Serve immediately.