· 4 large yellow or Vidalia onions, sliced
· 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 1 tablespoon Dried thyme
· 2 quarts beef broth
· 1/2 cup brandy (optional)
· 1 French baguette, sliced and toasted
· Gruyere and Emmenthaler cheese as desired
1. Slice 4 large yellow onions, using a tight thin slice. In a large Dutch add enough olive oil to coat the pan and then add the onions. Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, until they're tender and golden. Stir often.
2. Add the brandy if desired and let the alcohol burn off.
3. Add sugar, beef broth and thyme cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
4. To serve, ladle soup into a bowl. Place a slice of baguette on top. Cover with shredded Gruyere and place slices of Emmenthaler over that.
5. Place the bowls on a baking pan and broil until the cheese is melted.