· 2 tablespoons coconut oil
· ½ onion, diced
· 2 carrots, finely diced
· 2 sticks celery, finely diced
· 1/2 cup white wine
· 2 cups uncooked lentils, soaked for 2 hours to overnight and rinsed
· 2 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled & diced
· 4 cups vegetable stock (plan to add a few more cups as needed while cooking)
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
· 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
· 1/2 cup cashew cream
· 3–4 cups packed fresh baby spinach
· Salt & Pepper to taste
· Oil & Vinegar to serve
1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute until they pick up some color. Add the wine slowly and deglaze pan.
2. Add the lentils, potatoes, parsley, thyme, stock, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more broth as necessary so the lentils are just barely covered in liquid.
3. Make cashew cream, if using homemade.
4. When the lentils and potatoes are soft, gently mash the potatoes against the side of the pot with the back of the wooden spoon to make the mixture creamy.
5. Add the half and half and spinach. Stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper
6. Serve each serving with a drizzle of good olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar.
For the Cashew Cream:
· 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight and drained)
· 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
· 2 teaspoons lemon juice
· Salt, to taste
1. Put all of the cashew cream ingredients into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.